Mrs. Taylor’s News_February 10th
Date to remember:
- Valentines Day, Friday, Feb. 14th – Send in V-day in a Bag (went home on Friday, 2/7)
- NO SCHOOL on Monday, Feb. 17th for President’s Day
- Science Camp: Feb. 19th– 21st
- Half Day, Feb. 26th– Dismissal at 11:25 am
**If your child is not going to camp, we will have a substitute in room 207. We have a class size staying behind that will report to school times as usual. We will leave the sub plans. They will also have a fun water activity on Friday provided by the City of Gilbert. If you child does NOT attend school, he/she will be marked absent. They will keep their same schedule with recess, lunch, specials and dismissals.
Science Camp 4-1-1:
- We are super excited to go on our field trip next week. Remember, we are going on Wednesday, February 19th– Friday, February 21st. We will be leaving at 7:45 am to avoid drive lane traffic. Please arrive at 7:30 to check-in and put luggage and bags on the bus. If you have any questions or concerns, send me an email and we can chat! I sent home a hard copy and an email last week with a packing list and permission for the zip line. If you need another, please let me know asap! I will be sending another one home for medications.
- If you think your child needs Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Claritin, etc. FILL OUT the form giving me permission to give it to them and send THEIR medication in a ziploc bag labeled with their name. That bag should be given to ME too!
- I will be texting you guys pictures and updates (as we arrive and leave campus/camp). If you need anything, please call or text my phone, my number was sent in an email. Students will be able to call you from my phone during bedtime check-ins.
- On Friday, Feb. 21st, I will message you when we leave camp around 10:30 am. Please be ready to pick up your child at 12:30(ish) pm. I’ll send updates on drive down. Your child will be SUPER TIRED, please plan to pick them up at that time to go home.
What are we learning?
Math- Mrs. Taylor’s math class is currently working on Area Model Multiplication and division. We are learning math terms/vocabulary and reviewing our multiplication math facts too! If your child is in Mrs. Avery’s math class they are currently finishing up multiplication, starting division, long division and fractions.
Spelling- We are focusing on taking the base word and adding -s, -ed, -ing to the end of the work (known as a suffix). For example, Fry–>Fries–> Fried–>Frying. We have 24 words this week. All of the students are on the same spelling list this week as we are focusing on the suffixes of the base words.
Reading/Daily 5 and Social Studies- We are reading the story Striking It Rich. The Story of the California Gold Rush. This is an expository text that tells people something. It contains facts about real people, things and events. As we read this story, we will focus on asking questions about things happening in the text. We will then look for those answers in the story. We will be tying this in with social studies. We will be focusing on why people leave their homes to chase a dream as well as how the Gold Rush changed the United States.
Writing- We will be reading two passages, Should kids make money on chores? And Should kids do chores to help the family without getting paid? The students will read both passages then decide if what their opinion will be. After that, they will have to stand by their opinion as they share their “why” giving reasons they found in the passage.
Science- We are experts on Force and Motion. The students took home their science folder filled with activities that kept us busy! This week, we will go through the process of the scientific method. We will test our hypothesis too. We will take an apple and bread and see how germs spread quickly. We will also test our hypothesis and find items around our room that we think are the dirtiest. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I can’t wait!
Thank you for reading this through! We appreciate all of your support this school year.
Have a lovely afternoon,